“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

February 12, 2012

Day 9 At Sea

Today is day 9 that I have been at sea, and thank goodness, the last day before we reach Ghana! (I'm definitely beginning to feel ill from eating nothing buy empty calories and can't wait for some good Ghanaian street food).

It's really weird because I have absolutely no concept of days of the week anymore. They just don't exist nor matter. We have in-port days and at-sea days. When we are in port its day 1, day 2, day 3, etc. While at sea it's A day, B day, repeat.

I can't believe i'm going to be in Africa!!! It's simply mind-boggleing. My plans are thus: Days 2, 3, and 4 I'm going to this Tafi Monkey Village. That's about all I know. It's some trip I signed up for on Facebook that the Fall '11 voyage raved about. The last day I have an FDP to go learn about the Queen Mothers of Ghanaian culture. That leaves the first day free to explore, and I think we are going to try and get over to the slave castles, which are these castles that were built in the 1600s to hold captured slaves while they waited for the trade ships to transport them to the Americas and the Caribbean.

I don't know yet if I will be back to the ship at all, hopefully not until it is time to depart, and if that is the case there will be no more updates until the end of day 5 (Friday?)

Also, Happy 24th to my awesome cousin Ross!!!!

And Happy (almost) Valentine's Day to everyone. Love and miss you all!

No comments: