“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

April 20, 2012

The Best Thing I Ate In: Dominica


 

I suspect you're missing my stories of port as much as I'm missing decent food so I've decided to devote a post to my favorite meal from each country. It's a win-win scenario. Well not really, you get the story but I still don't get real food... 


So way back at the beginning of my trek around the world I was exploring Dominica, completely unaware at this early point in my travels as to how to go about finding the best food, and my friends and I were lucky enough to stumble by this hot dog man. He had a little cart set up on a street corner and you knew it had to be good from the crowd surrounding him. Actually, it was probably just as much the show he was putting on as the food itself. This guy could whip up a hot dog with everything you ever wanted on it in a few seconds flat. Watching his hands was a complete blur; one moment he was pulling a roll out of his cart, a few mustard squirts and flourishes later he was handing you a hot dog with the complete works. 


Back when we were still in the early stages of our voyage, I was unwilling to stray from my pescetarian ways, and so opted for his swordfish variation. In a matter of seconds he produced a long, thin roll of bread, what looked like a miniature baguette, sliced it open, smothered it with his obviously homemade swordfish and bbq sauce concoction, added some other garnishes and relishes, and handed me the result. Imagine some fusion of bbq, and that great Jamaican jerk taste that you can only find in the Caribbean, and make it into a sandwich. Mmmm. 

No comments: