“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

April 14, 2012

It's Almost Over

I know I haven't written a proper blog post in ages, and I am sorry that this first one is such a long time is not one of the enthusiastic, exciting adventure stories that I have entertained you with for the past months, but it is an aspect of my journey that I cannot ignore, no matter how hard I try.

I haven't slept in days, because I keep having this recurring nightmare.

We are docking in San Diego, and there are just so many aspects to it that are devastating. For one, how do I go back to normal life after living on a ship and circumnavigating the world? I've been high on the adrenalin of travel for so long, how do I come down? How do I go from living in a fairy tale adventure back to the mundane routine of school and work every day?

I am back home, but it is not the same, nor will it ever be the same. I am home but this place is completely foreign to me, because I have seen and experienced things that shape the way I see the world around me. So many things about everyday life that I used to take for granted I now am either extremely grateful for, or repulsed by. In my dream I am taking that first step off of the ship and back onto US soil, and I don't know how to handle the overwhelming emotions that come with the end of this epic voyage. It is over.

I wake up crying in my sleep, every time. And what makes it all the worse is it is not just a nightmare that will be forgotten once I drift back to sleep. In two and a half short weeks it will be my reality.

No comments: