“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

March 7, 2012

Top Of The World

South Africa - Day 3

My descriptions are going to get a little scant, but I will continue to post random things as I remember them. Right now I just want to get caught up with South Africa. 

On day three we hiked Table Mountain. Four hours just to the top. And it was intense rugged steps the entire way. Try climbing a stairmaster for four hours at a decent pace. And don't use the rails because those don't exist. There are shorter ways to the top but somehow we missed those. But the view from the top was more than worth it. The second I saw the view around us, and just the fact that we were above the cloud line, I literally caught my breath and couldn't say anything but no freakin' way! 

Because Table Mountain is such a landmark of Cape Town, it has turned into a major tourist attraction and there is actually a cable car that runs all the way to the top (for those who don't feel the need to earn the view), and a restaurant. We stayed at the top for dinner, bought a bottle of wine, and watched the sun set over South Africa. 


 

No comments: